High-Resolution Copernicus-Based Information Services at Sea for Ports and Aquaculture
HiSea is an EU-funded project which developed innovative services offering high-resolution water quality data at sea for ports and aquaculture. HiSea transforms the wealth of marine data collected by Sentinel satellites and generated by different Copernicus services to provide real-time information, thus improving the operation, planning, and management of various marine activities.
The HiSea Platform
HiSea Platform provides high-resolution information services at sea to ports operators and aquaculture companies.
The services offered by the HiSea Platform incorporate and process data that are being obtained through the Copernicus marine services data, combined with local monitoring data, advanced modelling, and satellite-derived information.
HiSea for Ports
- Spill response and clean-up: Forecast trajectories and plan response for oil spills, floating objects (e.g., cargo or large debris), man overboard, etc. This service provides accurate forecasts of the development of such spills, enabling port authorities to make quick decisions, thus reducing the costs of the subsequent cleaning. This also increases the cost-effectiveness of port management as fewer resources are then needed for such events.
- Weather conditions at sea reporting: More effective ship scheduling, using forecasted and real-time weather reports. Record past, current, and future weather conditions along entire shipping routes for optimising ship scheduling when entering/leaving ports and loading/unloading cargo. Use this forecast data to predict the best window for safe passage of ships into ports and efficient timing for loading cargo. This accurate recording of information is also an excellent tool for resolving disputes.
- Safe port depth for ships: Support current technologies to monitor water depth and water levels based on hydrodynamic conditions (waves, wind, currents, turbidity), thus requiring fewer resources for ongoing monitoring and allowing for more precise port basin maintenance operations in case of increasing sediments.
- Accurate recording: Provide water quality and weather conditions at sea, near or around ports, to help resolve disputes and for regulation-compliance reporting.
- Early warning and anticipation of harmful algal blooms: Forecast the timing and magnitude of the event as well as monitor and evaluate its impact on port activities. By simulating alternative actions, this service will mitigate adverse effects on port operations and environmental impact.
HiSea for Aquaculture
- Wave and Wind Forecast Alerts: Provide accurate, real-time, and forecasted weather and storm events, including historical, one-five days of forecast, and real-time data of currents, waves, and wind.
- Jellyfish Invasion Forecast: Early warning of jellyfish invasions. Through forecasting their probable timing, magnitude, and location and the simulation of alternative actions, these services will mitigate adverse effects on operations and environmental impacts.
- Support for Optimizing Fish Cage Settlement: Based on advanced data analytics and performance indicators, this service will allow farmers and fish cage providers to evaluate the optimal location and improve the process of anchoring cages and their movability. The consulting service integrates both chemical and physical water parameters of historical data and forecast models.
- Water Quality Forecast and Personalized Alerts: Accurate, real-time and forecasted water quality information, including, oxygen levels, turbidity, microbiology, sea and air temperatures to enable farmers to implement effective and efficient aquaculture management.
- Harmful Algal Bloom Forecast: Early warning and anticipation of harmful events such as algal blooms.