The AQUASAFE – Oil Spill Simulator, developed by HiSea partner Hidromod, and presented at the event by Pedro Galvão of Hidromod, calls for the implementation of an efficient and effective response system capable of providing support in case of marine pollution incidents.
Morocco’s National Ports Agency (ANP) and National Single Window PORTNET, together with the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation, promoted the first Smart Port Challenge 2020 hackathon which took place from 18 December 2020 to 29 January 2021.
This international virtual co-creation and innovation event was an opportunity for participants to propose disruptive solutions that facilitate transit at Morocco’s ports and improve port performance.
The event attracted port experts, researchers, start-ups, businesses and students who come up with creative responses to the following challenges:
- Sustainable Development
- Environmental Protection and Energy Transition (Energy Transition and Detection and Monitoring of Pollution Slicks)
- Logistic Fluidity and Trade Facilitation (Accelerating the Take-Up of Electronic Payments
- Simplifying and Securing the Certificate of Origin
- Optimization of Goods Control Operations at Scanner Leve
- Dynamic Truck Weighing
- Forecasting the Evolution of Basin Bottoms
- Dredging and Deepening of Quays.
The event was a true success reflected in some relevant figures: 40 mentors provided support and shared knowledge, more than 500 participants engaged, 27 webinars performed, and 73 projects submitted. Seven projects were selected as finalists, of which two were submitted by Hidromod.
The Hidromod projects, submitted under the themes Detection and Monitoring of Pollution Slicks and Forecasting the Evolution of Basin Bottoms, Dredging and Deepening of Quays, were inspired by two use cases from the Horizon 2020- funded HiSea Project (spills trajectory forecast and bathymetry estimation for channel sedimentation trends).
The proposals addressed the following issues:
- Efficient and effective response system capable to provide support in case of marine pollution incidents
- Bathymetric Changes forecasting in ports using satellite images
Hidromod and HiSea partnership acknowledge Smart Port Challenge organization the opportunity to contribute for the success of this event and the project’s evaluation Jury the recognition of the innovative solutions proposed.